I have been thinking about my idiosyncracies and have been transfixed with laughter because the list is rather odd.
1. I have an almost perfect recall of important phone numbers. When I concentrate, I can visualize them. I lost touch with one of my best friends and called her out of the blue after not speaking to her for 16 years. We were both surprised that the number just popped into my head but it happens all the time.
2. I have an eerie recollection of quotes and lines from my favorite movies and other media. Many of them have worked their way into my speech. Some lie in the background, zooming across the landscape of my consciousness at select moments. They are like old friends from which I draw inspiration, laughter, hope, fortitude, or just plain marvel at their veracity or beauty. Some truths are timeless. Still others, are indicative of my generation, culture, race, or gender, exemplifying some of my dearly held beliefs. Some, like me, are just downright silly. The best of them speak to the human condition and experience.
3. I am nocturnal and have been known to greet dawn with a good book in hand, bleary eyed and deeply contented. I have been like this since I was a child. This only changed when I discovered my love of gardening. All my friends were astonished when I started rising with the birds just to tool around the garden because I used to be the person that you couldn’t call before noon.
4. I love old things, furniture, books, music, movies (viva la TCM), architecture and fashion.
5. I am obsessed with dinosaurs and have a sick fascination with disaster movies although they terrify me as well.
When I hit #2, I got the idea for a series, my favorite things. It may seem unrelated but your idiosyncracies say a lot about you just like your favorite things.
What are your quirks and favorite things? What do they say about you?
P.S – Can I just say that I LOVE Youtube? There is almost nothing you can’t find on there!
My Favorite Sayings
1. “Never stop fighting until the fight is done.” Kevin Costner, The Untouchables, 1987.
2. “Why? You know why?” The Hangover, 2009.
3. “These are the things that grind my ass to the bone on a daily basis…” Whoppi Goldberg, Live on Broadway, 1980’s.
4. “My eyes are like poached eggs. They run when poked.” – A strange commercial that used to run on WPIX.
5. “…How can people be such a necessary part of your life one day, and simply gone the next?” Threesome, 1994.
6. “Fasten your seatbelts. It’s gonna be a bumpy night.” Bette Davis, All about Eve, 1950.
7. “It’s a Red Letter Day.” Unknown Book.
8. “The World is a Ghetto.” War
9. Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things and endures all things.” 1 Corinthians 13:4-7
10. You can lead a horse to water but you can’t make them drink. Old Proverb.
11. What would you do if you knew you could not fail? Unknown author.
12. “Identify the problem and fix it!” 2008 Election, Saturday Night Live
13. “The world is going to hell in a handbasket.” Old phrase, origin unknown.
14. …”Dumb as the day is long.” Author unknown.
15. “Ignorance is bliss.” Thomas Gray, 1742.
16. “Stinking thinking.” – My mother.
17. “Refuse and resist.” New York Activists, Sonia Sanchez, 1987.
18. “Bang, zoom”… The Honeymooners, TV sitcom 1951 – 1955.