It’s official, the Obama/Biden ticket has won the 2012 election!!!!!!!! I stayed up till 2:15 and that was as far as I could go. I fell out, drunk and jubilant when Obama came on stage to give his acceptance speech.
It should be noted that I am big on revenge and was distraught at the anticlimatic acceptance speech by Romney. He looked not in the slightest bit chastened and had the nerve to be gracious, if you can believe that happy crappy. In some mature corners of the world that was great but it would have been ever so much more satisfying to see him humbled. Oh well, he’s to rich for that, yes? Yes.
Nate Silver is a god among men. His prediction was spot on. He can brush his shoulder’s off with ease and thumb his nose without impunity at the naysayers lol. Clearly, they don’t know shit about arithmetic.
Bill Clinton came out in such a big way for Obama that it was incredibly moving. Bubba is the bomb. There are few things as moving as a Leo with a purpose lol. The Obamas and the Clintons make a powerful political alliance and I am sure that 2016 ticket will have Secretary Clinton on the ticket and President Obama will work equally hard to get her elected.
Other reasons for joy, let me count the ways…
1. I got 99 problems but Mitt ain’t one… 99 problems
2. Last night’s election was a referendum on Citizen’s United. Money, billions of dollars of it, did not make the difference that Adelson, the Koch Brothers, corporations and captains of industry hoped it would make. Our votes could not be bought and for that i am incredibly PROUD.
3. People united against the tide of dirty money to be heard. If we could bottle that collective democratic consciousness we would truly be rich. Looking at the lines in Florida and Ohio, what people had to go through to excercise their right to vote and yet they were NOT moved, speaks volumes about what Americans are made of.
4. Women let their voices be heard!!! We gained four new Senate seats and held six which were up for re-election. Among my favorite’s are, Senator Elect Elizabeth Warren, creator of the CFPB, and Tammy Baldwin, our first openly gay senator. When Akin and Mourdock were defeated… Well, that strange sound you heard was me yelling out the window lol.
5. Marriage equality made historic strides last night winning initiatives in Maine, Maryland, Minnesota and Washington. This is a giant stride for civil rights and as a member of the LGBT community I am overjoyed.
6. Marijuana was legalized in Colorado and Washington for recreational use. Woot!
7. Somewhere Karl Rove and Mitch McConnell are crying over their coffee. They FAILED. Ha!!!
8. Some day soon, I and millions of others of the uninsured, can get affordable health insurance. Lives will be saved, rhetoric be damned.
9. Most importantly, we beat back the tide of extremism and Right Wing idealogues that were attempting to roll back years of progress, so now I can exhale…. and continue drinking since I don’t live in Colorado or Washington 🙂
The single fly in the ointment is that Republicans retained the House and it’s a very BIG fly. It makes me nervous but after the last 18 months and in particular, the last two weeks, I’ve become used to that.
Logic says the GOP will finally need to work across party lines to move the country forward. America’s face has changed, and this election underscores their lack of broad demographic appeal. They are left with no choic but to revamp and expand their policies to be more inclusive of the broadening electorate or risk attrition as America becomes increasingly diverse.
It’s unbelievable to me that Michele Bachmann held on to her seat but that is offset a tiny bit by the loss of the scourge known as Allen West! I loathed him, truly.
Personally, I think it’s deliciously ironic that the people who they’ve enslaved, demeaned and marginalized are now controlling the destiny of this country by sheer numbers. Clearly, it’s an outcome they never anticipated.
The struggle continues but we can savor this victory for at least one day before moving on to the next challenge. Achieving this victory affirms people power and should give us hope that more strides can be made. This is what democracy looks like…
Need a laugh? Check this out 🙂